I have not really paid this blog much attention recently, but I see there are still people coming across the things I’ve made and put here.
There are two reasons for this. I work by day in a shop, and Christmas was busy – I was tired, and I didn’t have any time to concentrate on any of this. And it was Christmas, other things were more exciting. I still haven’t got a lot of time to sped with this, although I might have more from February.
Secondly, my Max demo ran out, was re-installed on another computer, ran out, etc. So I cannot develop any further. I have not installed the Max 5 demo, because I want to do so when I have enough time to really get to know it. I haven’t bought Max, because it’s epensive, and I don’t have a lot of money; and because the educational discount is so generous, I’d like to become a student again an take advantage of that.
Also, the forthcoming Max4Live looks very exciting, and would enable all sorts of fun for my BCR2000 and pK in Ableton. However, I don’t particularly want a copy of Max that will only function with Live, so I’m waiting to see if the objects in it are also available to Max 5, if not what kind of discount or deals are available. In other words, now doesn’t look like a good time to buy Max 5, when potentially you could end up getting a worse deal than if you’d waited a few months for any promotional offers.
The BCR patch for Cubase may well be in a form on my computer that has progressed beyond the one on this site. I will try to spend a lttle time testing it so that I know it is working correctly, then upload it if it seems to be working any better. I have succeeded in getting vstxml to work with Cubase 4, so it can also be used with Cubase 4 – all this I will documentif I have the time.
Before my Max ran out I had started to clean up the Max patch for the pK – it was very messy, because I was learning it all as I went along, so frequently things were over-complicated because I didn’t know which object to use (I still don’t really). Anyway, my plan after the initial tidying was to abstract everything – so that I had simple objects which read midi in or sent midi out for the pads, buttons, etc – which would remove a layer of clutter, and allow more concentration on programming the interesting parts, rather than the Native Mode parts. Once I get hold of Max 5, demo, M4L, or otherwise, this is probably what I will start with.
In the meantime, the CovOps have released their Max patch. On first, brief inspection, it looks like I could learn a lot from it, since it’s all been made by someone who actually knows what he’s doing. Anyone interested in pK <-> Max interfacing might want to take a look. And maybe listen to some of his music while you do
then, if ou still have time to waste, make me one of these